Custom Search

Splashers!! Drinking the kool-aid...

Monday, October 6, 2008

Back to Day Island for a New Look...


Amy Rhodes and I planned on exploring the South Wall at Day Island today but we ended up splashing a bit late to beat the exchange. Not to be dissuaded we decided we'd give it the old college try anyway and we could not have been happier with the result.

It started a little sketchy as we crawled our way out to the wall, but once we reached it the fun began. Almost immediately Amy spotted the head of a Wolf Eel protruding from the top few feet of the wall and signaled me over to it. I turned on my camera and took a few still shots before it decided to vacate the den it was in and start on a journey to the North. I'd yet to capture any footage of a Wolf Eel on the move so I flipped the lever to video mode and gave chase, leaving Amy behind for the moment. After a brief few moments I realized that I had covered a bit of ground and thought it best to halt my drift and try to reengage with my buddy. It was good to see when I turned around that Amy was on my heels as fighting the current back to her was going to be work. We agreed that continuing on our heading to the North was best and steered ourselves along that route.

Up til this point I'd not checked out the North end of this site so everything that I was seeing along the way was new - and exciting. Small sections of "walls" (comparable to that found at Fox Islands West Wall dive site - for those in the know) appeared out of everywhere and the dens that riddled them played host to a slew of critters that became our entertainment for the day. It would have been enough just to do fly-by's on these structures alone, and with most that's just what we did, but Amy had her radar on today - if there was something to be found along the way... she found it! :)

We crossed paths with a good sized red octo at first and it's colorful displays were just a little too enticing to forgo with the camera. Check out the photos...



... and then it continued. Time and again Amy's flashlight would shake in the direction of a her latest find. Check out the short video clip to see a bit of the fun...



Thanks for the dive, Amy!

Dive Buddy: Amy Rhodes (76fsw for 47mins)

No comments: