Custom Search

Splashers!! Drinking the kool-aid...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

150 and counting...


It seems like only yesterday that I first shoehorned my 5'10" 230lb portly self into a wish-i-wasn't-gonna-get-wetsuit - tossed on some webbed feet, sea goggles, a rib-crusher, that big aluminum can of smog, and sunk into the Sound for Open Water Dive 1.

Well, my friends, it wasn't yesterday... nosiree. To catch a glimpse of my snorkel breaking the surface back then you'd have to set the warp-dial on your time-machine way back... to the days when gasoline was only $4.35 a gallon (regular), and millions of Muggles were rushing the local theatres to catch Harry Potter busting blocks, with the wave of his wand, in only the 5th release of the hit movie series. Getting a sense of how long ago that was...?

For those of you who are recollection challenged, it was the late 2007's. And if it weren't for those pesky surface intervals, and the fact that I own only two tanks, I'd have many hundreds, maybe even thousands of logged dives by now (the very definition of a pipe-dream). Instead, I celebrated today a mere and modest 150th splash.

It was my first splash ever at Point Defiance's Owen Beach, and in that I wasn't alone. I celebrated this benchmark touring around with some folks fresh-off-the-boat. Just back from Belize, David and his two sons, Dan and Billy, were in for their first cold water adventure. They had just spent some ten days in the warmer waters getting their open water certifications (referrals), and a bit of fun diving in. Tonight was their welcome back splash, and I think it's safe to say - they had a blast. Although we didn't sidle up to any sixgills :( ...we did get in our fair share of marine life sightings. Our cold-water critters captivating a new audience, and hopefully leaving a lasting impression. If the post-dive gabbing from the fellas is any evidence... I'm sure they did.

We'll see you guys around the Sound! Be safe, and thanks for celebrating 150 with me!!

Dive Buddy Group: David, Dan, Billy, Amy and others. (55fsw for 31mins)

No comments: