Custom Search

Splashers!! Drinking the kool-aid...

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Finally... a GPO sighting at Les Davis...


I can't tell you how many times I've been out to Les Davis Marine Park and have yet to spot a GPO, or for that matter even a small red octo. Well, today was my day! Jeremy and I hooked up for a one-tank splash at the park tonight and planned a simple tour that of course included a large section of the west side bridge decking.

The Vis wasn't the best, but we've dove long hours in worse and without hesitation made our way out to depth. After tooling around the deeper west-end section of the site for a bit we made our turn towards home. When we reached the 40-45fsw mark, Jeremy stopped to look under a long piece of decking that sported a very distinct and shapely trench surrounded by a littering of crab shells. Now I've seen plenty of these midden piles out here before, but every single time I've explored the suspected den I've come up empty. This time, however, Jeremy looked back at me and gave me the universal sign for "GPO" and shined his light at the entrance. I couldn't believe it... I kicked down to the spot that Jeremy had just vacated and took a look for myself. Sure enough, WAY back in the back, I'm guessing some 20' or more, I spotted the sight that I'd been hoping to find each time out here - a writhing mass of arms and mantle.

I was immediately struck by the size of the suction cups on this guys. Looking like dinner plates from the distance I was from him meant it had to be a big dude. Bigger than I'd seen to date, that was for sure. It wasn't too long before we were spotted and the agitated giant began to siphon up the silt around him, which created great eddying plumes that restricted our view. I pulled back from that spot to see if there were a better angle. Seeing none immediately nearby, I swam down over the decking to just about the spot where I believed I was right over the top of him. Looking to the west side of the concrete structure I saw what appeared to be a second entrance to what had to have been the same den. I quickly positioned myself here and peeked my head into the entrance. Instantly I pushed myself back away from the new entrance. I had found the right spot alright, he was inches from my face and was not happy to see me there. His agitation expressed with rapid, eerily fluid movement of his arms wrapping around himself. Envision Elvis with 8 arms (and hands of course), combing his hair back with each in succession - on crack! Okay, maybe a bad analogy... but you get my point.

I took one last look and waved goodbye to the big dude. We'll come back when you're not busy primping. I hooked back up with Jeremy and exchanged a "that was awesome" sign, and we made our way to the exit. Passing by the fish statue and zipping through the tractor tire on the way out.

Finally!! A GPO sighting at Les Davis. Good stuff!

Dive Buddy: Jeremy (82fsw for 50mins.)

No comments: