Custom Search

Splashers!! Drinking the kool-aid...

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Role play, and "not today"...


Helped out with an Assistant Instructor check-out dive today, playing the role of a student hellbent on challenging authority. My AI would tell me exactly what to do during a series of underwater/surface skills, and I would defy explicit direction time and again. From casually lifting my head during the snorkel to regulator exchange, to not blowing a stream of tiny bubbles (you know the rule!) during my regulator recovery skill... our testing AI candidate, Michelle Fessler, caught it all. She quickly identified each of her "students" errors and with the tact expected of no less than an OWSI, she helped each of us to remember ::finger tapping temple:: the proper steps to mastery of the skill. She did a fantastic job and I was happy to have had a chance to play a part in her check-out. Her candidacy is over....

Congratulations, Michelle, on becoming a new PADI Assistant Instructor!

Once we finished up with the check-out, it was on to a bit of fun. We're splashing!

Mike D. and I buddy'd up for this kick around the Les Davis Marine Park. I was hoping that we might drop in on the GPO that Jeremy and I had spotted just a few days back, but before we got to that I decided to lead the tour to the far east. Or as most of you might better know it... the tire piles. For those that don't know, these are the underwater landmarks used to caution divers from further east passage lest they end up enticing a pier dweller into jerking his arms up high above his head and gleefully yelling out... "FISH ON!!"

We explored the tires for a bit and then made a turn towards home. Shortly after the turn I noticed that the diving pair that followed us out, Amy and Nick, were no longer in tow. No matter, I hadn't lost my buddy... we'll catch up with them on shore. I knew exactly where it was that the GPO was, and we were slowly working our way to him. Too slowly as it turns out. Once in the general area, the fresh silt plumes turned visibility from what was 15-20 feet - to zip. We rose above the cloud to see if there was any relief nearby, but it stretched out far enough to dispel any hope of finding the den tonight.

The customary debrief in the parking lot confirmed our suspicion - Amy and Nick had found him first. Their maneuvering to find just the right vantage point did eventually allow them a glimpse of the big guy, tucked away in the far reaches of his den, but had thwarted our chance for the same. It was good to hear that he was still around though, and we'll make sure to swing by on our next LD splash and check up on him.

Dive Buddy: Mike D.
Dive Buddy Group: Amy R. and Nick R.
(70fsw for 53mins.)

No comments: